Read, Write Inc
At St Thomas More Catholic Primary School we teach our children to read and spell in using the Read, Write Inc scheme.
Who is Read, Write Inc. for?
The Read Write Inc. programme is for primary school children learning to read.
It enables every child to become a confident and fluent reader at the first attempt. Every child who completes Read Write Inc. learns to read fluently and confidently.
Using our method:
- Children in the early years learn to read confidently and fluently.
- Older children with reading difficulties make fast progress.
- Children with specific learning difficulties learn to read. The Read Write Inc. programme is also used with great success to support children of all ages who have been designated as dyslexic. The reading teacher is guided from the very beginning to help the children become confident and fluent readers (the first time they learn).
Why does it work?
- The systematic and lively programme is organised by an in-school manager – Mrs Rebecca Davis EYFS Lead and Reception Teacher
- All staff (teachers and assistants) are trained together
- The children read and write for an hour each day, grouped according to their reading level. (Currently one, 20 minute session for Reception children.)
- Children do not struggle because the work is too difficult or get bored because the work is specifically pitched to their level and understanding.
- Children who may require additional support will be taken out for interventions with a teaching assistant.
Please find below a list of red and green words: